Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Chapter 4 of The Secret

 Lynne heard my gasp and came around the corner. “Jason? What is it?”

I couldn’t speak. I just handed her the photo and the sonogram.

She stared at them, her eyebrows knitting together as her brain tried to process what she was looking at. “Wait... no. Tell me you didn't know about this. Is Kayla... alive?”

“No, Lynne, I had no idea!” My voice cracked. “What the hell is this? Why would Mom keep her own daughter's survival a secret from us for years? And how do I suddenly have a nephew?”

Lynne’s hands shook slightly as she set the sonogram down. “Look to see if there are more.”

We dug back into the stack. Four months after the sonogram was a photo of Kayla holding a newborn, looking tired but radiating a soft, fierce joy.

Printed on the back in Mom's shaky handwriting: Say hello to Devin Charles Winters.

We kept digging, tracking a life told in sporadic snapshots. The newest photo was postmarked just a month before Mom died. It showed a lean, tall teenager mid-stride, kicking a soccer ball into the net.

Just like his mom, the caption read. Maybe someday you can meet him, if it ever becomes safe.

I sank back against the floor, my brain racing to make sense of the pieces.

Kayla had been the captain of her high school soccer team until a torn ACL ended her career. She’d been a normal kid—stubborn, a little rebellious, but normal. What could a teenager possibly get mixed up in that was bad enough to fake her own death, abandon her family, and vanish into thin air?

And what made Mom decide it was safe enough to write to her, but too dangerous to ever tell me?

Lynne and I spent five exhausting hours that evening looking through every piece of paperwork Mom left that we could find. Acting on a hunch, I went through her bank records and receipts. What I found left my head swimming even more. She had set up an account where she deposited a bit of her paycheck each month, separate from her own checking account. We also found receipts for money transfers to the same Denver address where Kayla was living.

“She wasn’t just staying in touch, Jason,” Lynne murmured. “She was funding her.”

“Looks like it,” I said while running my hand through my hair.

Then we discovered another letter—this one with my name on it, in Mom’s handwriting, dated two weeks before she died.

I opened it and read:

Jason:

If you’re reading this, I must be gone. I knew something was wrong with me, I’d been having chest pains on and off the past few weeks, and as a nurse, I knew what that could mean. If you’ve read all the letters and seen the pictures, you know that Kayla is alive and well and living in Denver raising Devin. Go to her, she can give you a better idea of what’s going on than I can. If you do go, be careful. Even though it’s been over a decade, Kayla is still in danger, and you may be too if certain people find out. I’m sorry, please forgive both of us.

Love, Mom

Mom, Kay, what is going on? What danger?

After spending hours digesting what I’d just read, I decided to call Jenna and tell her this insane story.

“What? Your sister is alive, in hiding, and you have a nephew? And your mom knew about it all this time and helped out?”

“Yeah, Jen, that’s what it looks like.”

“Babe, what are you gonna do?”

“I’m going to go straight to the source. As soon as this call is over, I’m booking a flight to Denver, and knocking on the door of someone whose empty grave I’ve been visiting the past 14 years.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 5 of The Secret

  I left for Denver the next day. Throughout the flight, my brain was still reeling from all this sudden information that had been dumpe...